Monday, August 1, 2016

Six: If You Like It then You Should've Put a Taco Ring on It

In honor of tonight's Bachelorette finale, I figured I'd do a bit of a throwback post to when I hosted last season's finale viewing party for the girls I watch the show with weekly. To preface, I love theme parties. Not necessarily dressing up for theme parties, but connecting the food and decorations with whatever the theme is and going wild. (Again, not wild with partying - I'm pretty much a grandma and don't like having fun past 11pm). As soon as I offered to host, I let my creativity flow. Each of the food and beverage options were a play on a food/love/Bachelor related pun. Hello "It Takes Two to Mango Sangria", "Heartbreak and Ice Cream Sandwiches", and "Put a Taco Ring On It". The girls also provided "Will You Accept This Pepperoni Rose?" and "Jalapeno Pop The Question", as well as foods that we would classify as "Perfect Pairs", like cheese and crackers and chips and salsa. I spent time making everyone personalized sangria glasses filled with Ring Pops, Hershey Kisses, and the most giant (plastic) engagement rings you've ever seen. I printed out pictures of Lauren B. and Jojo's faces and slapped them on popsicle sticks so we could proudly cheer for our favorites. And then, of course, there was a jar to collect money because we each filled out a bracket after watching the first episode of the season and the top three scoring brackets got to walk away with a little cash (I came in 5th - not my best showing). We all wore our hair in the ever popular half-up bun that the ladies on this past season of The Bachelorette rocked (mockingly at first but I've pulled it out a few times since then more seriously - stop judging me right now). Ultimately my girl Lauren B. pulled out the win and Jojo got picked to be the next Bachelorette (great choice up until this past episode where I'm slightly concerned she's going to end up heartbroken with her two finalists, but alas, it's her choice and not mine or the rest of America who obviously agree with me).




Tonight I am not hosting the finale viewing party, but I am breaking out a few dips (I haven't earned the title Dip Queen for nothing). On top of Spinach and Artichoke Dip, I'm also bringing a Texas Caviar salsa (shout out to one of my beautiful friends for passing along the recipe!) in honor of Jojo being a Dallas girl. I have my money riding on Jordan winning her heart and proposing - I have a witness who heard me call this the second he got out of the limo. That would make two seasons in a row of correctly predicting the winner AND I would come in second place this time around in the bracket and walk away with a little cash. Even if he doesn't win (which why would you ever choose Robby in the first place and Luke should have won the whole thing), I've thoroughly enjoyed every Tuesday night (so we can watch early and skip commercials) with these girls, hysterically laughing over our commentary, often too hard so we have to rewind because we've missed something that we think could be important or just to watch Alex say he could rap and then rhyme the words Jojo and liquor store (I'd say nice try but I'd be lying -your first grade teacher is so proud) or the constant sharing of The Bachelorette related articles about how Alex, Chase, Robby, and Jordan called their room The Garden because they always got roses (if my eyes could do a full 360 in my head right now, they would). Can't wait to find out who our next Bachelor is, even though we'll have to wait until January to start up our brackets. It should probably be Luke, right? Maybe I'd throw an application out there and hope for the best (I wouldn't).

Recipe Number Nine: Taco Ring


This is one of my favorite recipes to make - it's always tasty and a combination of tacos and bread so you can't ever be wrong. The original recipe is from Pillsbury and I follow it mostly to a T (except I hate when lettuce gets warm so I typically avoid it in everything but salads). Just realized I'm posting this on Monday night so get pumped for your next Taco Tuesday! Enjoy!

1 lb ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning mix
2 cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
1 cup shredded cheese
1 small can of diced green chiles
All the taco fixings of your choice

Heat oven to 375°F. In nonstick skillet, cook beef until no longer pink. Drain fat. Add green chiles, taco seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. In medium bowl, mix beef mixture and cheese.

Unroll both cans of dough; separate into 16 triangles. On ungreased large cookie sheet, arrange triangles in ring so short sides of triangles form a circle in center. Dough should overlap and look like a sun!

Spoon beef mixture on the half of each triangle closest to center of ring.

Bring each dough triangle up over filling, tucking dough under bottom layer of dough to secure it. Repeat around ring until entire filling is enclosed (some filling might show a little). Mine never looks as pretty as Pillsbury says it should but I promise it is still friggen delicious.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dough is golden brown and thoroughly baked. Cool 5 to 10 minutes. Deck out with your favorite taco fixings!

I hope your next Taco Night is everything you hoped it would be and more, just the same way I hope that Jojo's love story has a happily ever after ending, even if I'm not either guys' biggest fan. Check in with me to see how my bracket finished up and let me know if you'd like to join in the fun next season!

Happy Cooking!

- Kela










No comments:

Post a Comment