Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Eleven: Souper Bowl Sunday

Let's be real. This Sunday's Super Bowl match up isn't the most ideal game to watch for a New York Giants fan however that will not stop me from hanging out with some of my favorite people and eating some of the best game day snacks until I should have stopped eight chicken wings ago. In all honesty, way more excited about the Justin Timberlake halftime show and Pink singing the National Anthem than watching one of the teams I like the least win the biggest game of the year. Whatever - I'm not here to bash either team and may the best one win on Sunday. Add the fact that THE This is Us episode of the century is airing right after to the list of things I'm looking forward to more than the actual game. I'm probably not emotionally prepared for that so won't watch it that night and will save it for a time that I am ready to drown in a puddle of my own tears later on during the week. No spoilers please!

If you're looking for some fabulous game day dips to bring to the parties, scroll on back to Seven: When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip. But for now, I'm sharing with you the easiest, most delicious soup I've made in while - Stuffed Pepper Soup.

Recipe Nineteen: Stuffed Pepper Soup


Stuffed peppers will always remind me of my Grandma. When I was little, when she would make stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage (galumpkis!), I would only ever eat the stuffing. To this day when she makes a batch of either, she'll give me a call because she put one aside for me - what a gem! Thankfully my palate has grown and I'm no longer anti-vegetables so that wasn't a concern with tonight's dinner. I bought a nice loaf of Italian bread to dunk in the broth and I would highly recommend doing the same. 

Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
6 cups water
2 bell peppers, chopped (I went for one green and one red)
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1 can (28 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
2 cups cooked rice (I used long grain and made it easy by buying the Uncle Ben's microwave in a bag in 90 seconds package which equals 2 cups... work smarter, not harder, friends)

In a large pot over medium heat, cook and stir beef until no longer pink. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to the meat while browning. Did I measure? No. Sorry to not be helpful. A couple shakes of each will do. Drain well after cooking or your soup will end up with an oily covering.

Add the peppers, water, beef bouillon, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes and bring to a rolling boil. 

Reduce heat and simmer on low uncovered until peppers are cooked through, approximately 25-30 minutes.

Add cooked rice and continue simmering uncovered for 10 minutes longer. Serve soup into bowls and allow a few minutes to cool so you don't burn your entire mouth from eating piping hot soup.

So easy! So delicious! So pumped to have lunch leftovers for the next few days!

Hope y'all enjoy! 

- Kela




No comments:

Post a Comment