Sunday, July 10, 2016

Four: Take Another Little Pizza My Heart

Back in February, I went on a date with a guy from online that wasn't anything special. We both realized we weren't compatible (I think I knew before I went but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I met him at his suggestion - the townie bar - for drinks). There was mutual ghosting at the end but there was one part of the date that's stuck with me. He wasn't much of a chef (he joked about eating Hot Pockets on the regular) but did talk about making pizza in a cast iron skillet and somehow this idea has been in and out of my head ever since. (Sadly, or not so sadly, this guy hasn't been in my head until right now that I've practically dedicated a blog post to him. If you're reading this, I'm still not interested, but thanks for the cooking idea!) It took me almost 6 months to buy one (super cheap on Amazon - what up free shipping?!) after the Williams Sonoma that's closing next door to me at work reminded me that I should have one (and I wasn't selling my first born child to get one from there, even if the entire store was 50% off).

Consider me a mutual friend between you and this cast iron skillet pizza. Because at the end of the day, we all just want a friend who knows our online date to tell us that they aren't a serial killer, or a serial dater who thinks you won't notice that they're dating a few people at once, or someone who's going to break up with you via a text message (a modern day version of Berger breaking up with Carrie on a post-it on Sex and the City), or someone who doesn't get married to someone else while you're dating, or someone who didn't just get out of jail for vehicular manslaughter, or who won't pocket your change at the end of the date, or who will at least look you in the eye once during dinner, or any other ridiculous bad date story my friends and I have experienced through the years. But we keep on trucking, and until then, you may have found the love of your life, but we don't have to share our pizza.

Recipe Five: Deep Dish Pizza

Recipe inspired by the Minimalist Baker.


Hey - I'm all for making it easier when you can, and I didn't have all the time in the world, so I cut some corners. Here's the recipe I followed with my shortcuts. You're going to love it, promise!

1 store-bought crust
1/2 cup pizza sauce - I added a little hot sauce to bring the heat (highly recommended if you are looking for a little spice)
1 cup mixed veggies of your choice  - I went with broccoli florets, artichoke hearts, and mushrooms, but you do you!
Meat of your choice - I bought too much pepperoni for my tortellini salad last week so I used the rest of the stick for my pizza
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil
Garlic
Olive Oil

Leave dough out on counter prior to cooking so that it can come to room temperature before use. I did for a little over an hour.

Once you're ready to cook, preheat oven to 450 and get to work on your toppings!

Heat a few teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet (not your cast iron skillet - save that for your dough). Add chopped garlic and stir over medium heat for about a minute. Add veggies and sauté together for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Next, coat a cast iron skillet (or round baking dish if you don't have one but you should get one) with extra virgin olive oil and run a garlic clove around for seasoning. Plop your dough down into the pan and push it up around the sides about 1 to 1.5 inches. Let rest for a few minutes while preparing the rest of your toppings.

Since I used pepperoni, I chopped mine into small slices and then zapped them in the microwave for a minute to cook down some of the grease before putting it on the pizza. Learned this trick from my Dad before we made pizza at home.

First sprinkle in 1/2 of mozzarella cheese, then add veggies, then sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese, italian seasonings if you're feeling fancy and grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, please).

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese and sauce are bubbly. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting, then serve immediately to yourself or to your SO or your family or whatever.

This pizza was GOLD when it came to taste - honestly might be one of my favorite things I've ever made. Next time, I'd work harder at the crust. Mine was a little too crusty for my liking so I wouldn't push it up as high on the sides. I was the kid who never ate my crust - I've grown into an adult who does eat it, but it isn't my really my favorite so it's on the list of fixes for the next time. There will absolutely be a next time, and probably soon! Even the leftovers have been phenomenal - last round tomorrow for lunch!

So take my word for it. Get yourself a cast iron skillet. I promise it will be a match made in heaven, or if not, at least you'll get a meal out of it (isn't this how we rationalize nerves on a first date?) Feel free to set me up with some of your favorite meals!

Happy Cooking, friends!

Kela





No comments:

Post a Comment