Monday, July 4, 2016

Three: Insert Corny Joke Here

Two weeks ago I started a new job that's different from your typical Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm schedule. In adjusting to my new job, I've taken advantage of my days and nights off by packing them to the brim with plans. I started writing a blog about food, often late at night, because it's something that I've found out I love to do and get an immense amount of gratification from posting. I'm not getting enough sleep. I feel like I've barely been home in the two weeks since coming back from vacation, including just finishing up my laundry a few days ago. I stand at work for 8 hours a day on the flimsiest flip flops, often sending me home with tired, sore feet. I suppose if I wanted to, I could find a bunch of other things to complain about, but I won't. Because in lieu of the sleepiness, the achy bones, and the lack of hours in the day to get things done, I am happy.  You read that correctly. I'm happy; really and truly happy.

I've known this for a while now. And I also know why. 

I am surrounded by some of the greatest people on this planet. This post is dedicated to the people who perpetually have my back. I hope you all have some of these friends - the friends who show up to your house with a bottle of wine and willingly sit outside with you next to your closed pool despite the lack of break from the heat or chat with you on your couches until all hours of the night; the friends who you haven't lived in the same state or time zone as in years but take time out of your hectic schedules to make your bi-weekly phone date where you laugh and cry over the ridiculous moments happening in your life, knowing that though you may be separated by hundreds or thousands of miles, you'll be completely heard and unjudged; the friends who you're in a group message with and could tell the story of your love life of dating more frogs than princes through the memes you've sent back and forth to each other; the friends who will let your team "win" a game of Kan Jam only for you to legitimately win the next two games and celebrate by wearing the cans as masks and holding the Frisbee like it's your first born for your victory photo shoot; the friends who you get together with weekly to watch the Bachelorette and fill out brackets with like it's March Madness because though you like sports, rooting for people to find the love of their lives is an inherent part of your hopeful romantic self; the friends who surprise you with little "just because I saw it and it made me think of you" gifts; the friends who support your crazy ideas, whether it be for a "M" or "B" (million or billion) dollar business plan or tell you to go for it when you tell them you're thinking about starting a blog because they believe in you; the friends who leave you love notes on your desk or in your mailbox, telling you all that you're worth and worthy of in this world on days or weeks or months when you're feeling down on yourself because someone or something tried to dull your shine. These friends, the ones who are your cheerleaders, your secret keepers, your laugh 'til you cry or cry 'til you laugh partners, are, in fact, the real MVPs.

The way those summer salad side dishes support your hamburger and hot dog BBQ, these friends support you. Because what would the Fourth of July be without a little potato salad? And though these sides don't always get the recognition they deserve, it would be remiss of me to not acknowledge these friends (some disguised as coworkers and family members) who have built me up to this point of true happiness. If I ever tell you that you're my pasta salad, this is why. Go tell the french fries to your cheeseburger that you'd be a little lost without them, and if you thought that was a little corny, time to stop reading.

I really hope you had a great Fourth of July. Next time you're looking for a fun side to spice up a cookout, here are two of my favorites! One of the reasons I love summer side dishes is that you can toss a few different ingredients chopped up in a bowl, add a little dressing (oil vs. mayo - you decide) and you've got yourself a salad! What are some of your favorite summer sides? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to give them a try!


Recipe Number Three: Corn Salad


Recipe inspired by the Barefoot Contessa's Fresh Corn Salad. Find that recipe here.

5 ears corn, shucked (or a couple of cans of corn drained and rinsed would probably do the trick if that's more up your alley)
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for about 3 minutes. Drain and immerse it in ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.

Toss the corn in a large bowl with the red onions, red pepper, red vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Chill until ready to serve then add the basil and toss until adequately dressed.

Recipe Four: Tortellini Salad


Recipe inspired by my dad :)

2 lbs. cheese tortellini
8 oz. cheddar cheese, cubed
6 oz. black olives, sliced
1 stick of pepperoni
1 head of broccoli, chopped (I use much more of the florets than the stem but that's personal preference)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Olive oil
14 oz. artichoke hearts, chopped (I didn't use them but I wish I had)
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add tortellini and cook according to package instructions. Drain water and add to large mixing bowl.

While the tortellini is cooking, saute garlic in 3 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add broccoli and toss in the garlic and olive oil until broccoli becomes bright green and tender. Remove from heat and add to the tortellini. Toss broccoli and oil with the tortellini to prevent pasta from sticking together. Add pepperoni, black olives, and artichokes. Dress with olive oil until lightly coated. Chill for 2 hours. Add cheddar cheese (don't do it before chilling because the cheese will melt due to the heat of the tortellini and broccoli). Salt and pepper to taste; then serve.

I hope you had a great holiday weekend and are feeling rested for the upcoming week. Give these side salads a try for your next summer cookout and keep me posted with your recipe modifications!

If you haven't yet, please like "Just a Single Serving" on Facebook to stay up to date with posts!

Happy Cooking!

- Kela




No comments:

Post a Comment